On behalf of the team at Suicide Prevention Australia, I would like to thank you for your ongoing support and contribution to SPA this year.
Through all the challenges we have faced together, the SPA team remains grateful for your commitment to collaboration, your sense of empathy and your enduring passion for life promotion.
Some of the work led by SPA that stands out for me when I look at our 2016 achievements includes:
- An unprecedented political commitment to mental health and suicide prevention including a $12 million research fund as advocated for by SPA and its members via the National Research Action Plan for Suicide Prevention
- National leadership in strengthening sector and Primary Health Network relationships following prevention efforts being refocused on regional delivery
- Growing the national Lived Experience Network to double its size, prioritising diverse member voices to enable participation in advisory groups, implementation committees, program design and safe language review of resources
- Strengthening our knowledge sharing efforts as a sector with an 11% growth in attendace at the National Suicide Prevention Conference held in Canberra earlier this year.
Read our 2015/16 Annual Review.
There is still much to do in all of these areas as we move into a new year, not least of which is development of SPA's strategy for the next three years. Some of our key deliverables coming up in 2017 include:
- Co-hosting the third international gathering of 'Zero Suicides in Healthcare' giving sector leaders from countries around the world a chance to collaborate on a framework to tackle the challenge of suicide across a global network
- Testing of methodology for a Better Practice Register to assist those commissioning suicide prevention services and programs to make quality, evidenced based procurement decisions
- Work with our Members to develop a roadmap for suicide prevention so as to support Government and other funders on their decision making and design of a national suicide prevention plan.
Lots to do!
Once again, our sincere thanks for everything you do to prevent suicide.
The SPA office will be closed from 5pm 23rd December, re-opening on Tuesday 3rd January. We wish you all the best for the holiday season and New Year and we look forward to working with you in 2017.