On Saturday 26 July, more than 200 people gathered in Perth for the final day of the National Suicide Prevention Conference. The final session on the program was dedicated to ‘Harnessing the Voices of Lived Experience.'
During this session, the Lived Experience Committee launched Guiding Principles for including Lived Experience voices in everything we do in suicide prevention in this country. These principles are part of a draft National Statement (available for comment by end August 2014) and are fundamental in setting out a lived experience consultation framework and way of working for organisations and individuals alike.
Guiding Principles for Inclusion of Lived Experience Voices in Suicide Prevention
- People with a lived experience have a valuable, unique and legitimate role in suicide prevention
- Lived experience helps change the culture surrounding suicide and to preserve and promote life through compassion and understanding
- Inclusion and embracing diversity of individuals, communities and cultures enriches suicide prevention
- Empower and support those with lived experience to share their insights and stories with a view to preventing suicide
- Utilise our lived experience to educate, promote resilience, inspire others and instil hope
- People with lived experience support, advocate for and contribute to research, evidence-based practice and evaluation
- All suicide prevention programs, policies, strategies and services will at all levels include genuine meaningful participation from those with lived experience
- Encourage and nurture collaboration and partnerships between organisations and stakeholders
These principles and the National Statement were drafted during the Suicide Prevention Australia Lived Experience Symposium in June 2014.
Symposium participants were recruited via organisations in the National Coalition for Suicide Prevention. Participants come from across Australia and have a wide range of personal experiences with suicide.
If you are interested in being involved in SPA’s commitment to embed Lived Experience voices in suicide, prevention, and be advised when the National Statement is available for comment, please send a brief email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about the Lived Experience Network.