Learn about suicide prevention policy and advocacy in Australia
Our Policy Positions
SPA works to create a better policy and funding environment for suicide prevention in Australia. To achieve this, we develop and implement policy positions on key sector issues. We do this with and in consultation with Members and Associates, people with lived experience of suicide, our Board, the guidance of the SPA Policy Committee, and key government and sector stakeholders.
As the national peak body we're committed to driving continual improvement in suicide prevention policy to achieve better outcomes for all Australians. Challenging the status quo, looking for evidence-based solutions, and supporting sustainable service and program delivery. Our Policy Positions are currently being reviewed. New and updated SPA Policy Positions will be published soon.
One of SPA's three Objects is to "Advocate for a better policy and funding environment for suicide prevention". We do this in a number of ways:
- Responding to government consultation papers, and parliamentary and other inquiries.
- Representing SPA Members on key government and sector committees.
- Building and nurturing relationships with key government and sector stakeholders to effectively engage them in suicide prevention.
- Increasing public awareness and understanding of suicide prevention as a priority public health concern.
You can help advocate for a better policy and funding environment for suicide prevention in Australia:
- Become a SPA Member or Associate
- Follow SPA on social media to keep informed of our campaigns
- Talk safely about suicide prevention with your networks
By working together, we can achieve our shared vision of a world without suicide.