Bronwen lost her brother Mark to suicide in 2008 after supporting him for a number of years.
Bronwen is the founding CEO of ‘Roses in the Ocean’, a lead organisation for lived experience of suicide. Contributing to best practice and a growing evidence base, Roses in the Ocean collaborates with individuals and organisations across community, corporate, health and government sectors to effectively and meaningfully engage lived experience expertise within all aspects of suicide prevention.
Bronwen has been a key advocate and driving force for the inclusion of lived experience in all aspects of suicide prevention since 2011, passionately advocating for non-clinical alternatives to the regular mental health system, greater support for families and supporters, lived experience led co-design, and the inclusion of lived experience Peer CARE Companions in suicide prevention contexts.
Selection of key roles:
- Expert Advisory Group – National Safe Spaces Network (2020)
- Co-Chair of the Queensland Suicide Prevention in Health Taskforce (2016-2020),
- Chair of the International Association Suicide Prevention – Special Interest Group: Lived Experience
- Adult Mental Health Centres Technical Advisory Committee (2019-2023)
- BeyondBlue National Advisory Committee ‘The Way Back Support Service
- Black Dog Institute – National Suicide Prevention Advisory Committee
- Member – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural and Clinical Advisory Group
- Qld Forensic Mental Health – ‘Partners in Prevention’ project Steering Group
- Brisbane North PHN – Strategic Partnership Group