LIVED EXPERIENCE AT SUICIDE PREVENTION AUSTRALIA
Lived experience is central to everything we do at Suicide Prevention Australia. Working with people who have lived experience of suicide allows us to better represent our members’ views and experiences to government and other external groups.
People with lived experience are uniquely placed to inform how we can support people through a crisis.
A lived experience of suicide can range from suicidal thoughts, surviving a suicide attempt, caring for someone through crisis, being bereaved by suicide or being touched by suicide in any way.
LIVED EXPERIENCE PANEL
The Lived Experience Panel was established in 2019 and we draw upon panel members for a variety of activities.
During the year we will be talking to our members, including the Lived Experience Panel, and advocating for practical solutions that will save lives.
Members of the Lived Experience Panel supports Suicide Prevention Australia by:
- Providing input into the development of policy and policy document review
- Participation in committees
- Providing input into suicide prevention service design
Currently Lived Experience Panel members are involved in the following Suicide Prevention Committees and working groups:
Suicide Prevention Australia Board:
- Graeme Holdsworth
- Vic/Tas: Mark Davis, Graeme Holdsworth, Alison Salisbury
- NSW/ACT: Jenny Smith
- QLD/NT: Rosiel Elwyn, Lidia di Lembo
- SA/WA: Stefani Caminiti
Policy Position statements:
- Youth: Stefani Caminiti
- Loneliness/Social Isolation: Alison Salisbury
- Veterans: Nikki Jamison
- Postvention to Prevention: Stefani Caminiti, Alison Salisbury
- Policy Platform: Jorgen Gullestrup
- Policy Committee: Graeme Holdsworth
- Life Award Committee: Stefani Caminiti, Tracey Stevens
Nominated by Suicide Prevention Australia to external committees:
- National Suicide Data Monitoring: Mark Davis, Jenny Smith, Nerida Volker
Suicide Prevention Australia remembers those we have lost to suicide and acknowledges the suffering suicide brings when it touches our lives. We are brought together by experience and are unified by hope.