Queensland Transcultural Mental Health Centre (QTMHC) is a specialist state-wide service that works to ensure people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds receive culturally responsive mental health care and support.
The Culturally Responsive Suicide Prevention Training project is an initiative that is led by QTMHC and supported by the Queensland Mental Health Commission (QMHC). The main aim of this project is to develop culturally responsive suicide prevention training for human service workers and culturally diverse media outlets.
As a result of this partnership QTMHC is pleased to announce the successful completion of the training pilot with expected training launch date in April 2021. QTMHC partnered with and received advice from many service providers, Steering Committee members and culturally diverse people with a lived experience of suicide to ensure the training courses are fit for purpose.
Learning outcomes of the Culturally Responsive Suicide Prevention Training for Human Service Workers:
- Understand the impact of culture on suicide and help seeking behaviour.
- Apply culturally responsive suicide prevention.
- Identify protective factors, risk factors, warning signs and potential triggers.
- Engage with culturally diverse people who might be at risk of suicide and ask about suicide.
- Support someone experiencing suicidal thoughts or behaviours and facilitate the development of a safety plan.
- Recognise the additional factors to consider when working with people from particular vulnerable groups.
- Support those bereaved by suicide.
A range of human service workers who work with, or support, culturally and linguistically diverse people who are at risk of suicide.
Learning outcomes of Communicating about Suicide in the Media:
To apply best practice when communicating about suicide in the media.
Anyone responsible for publishing, communicating, or broadcasting on any media platform to culturally and linguistically diverse communities. This includes print, social media, radio, or television.
Training courses and other resources:
- Culturally Responsive Suicide Prevention Training for Human Service Workers (available in April 2021) https://metrosouth.health.qld.gov.au/qtmhc/programs-and-services/cald-suicide-prevention
- Communicating about Suicide in the Media (available in April 2021) https://metrosouth.health.qld.gov.au/qtmhc/programs-and-services/cald-suicide-prevention
- Glossary of mental health and wellbeing terms for interpreters, translators and bicultural workers https://metrosouth.health.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/content/qtmhc_glossary_terms.pdf
- Suicide prevention community resource (available in 26 languages), Supporting a person in your community who is suicidal https://metrosouth.health.qld.gov.au/qtmhc/programs-and-services/cald-suicide-prevention