Wellbeing SA is a state government agency leading a focus and action on prevention.
Wellbeing SA’s goal is to lead the system change required to support health and wellbeing and embed prevention across the life course. Our vision is for a balanced health and wellbeing system that supports improved physical, mental and social wellbeing for all South Australians.
Mental health, wellbeing and suicide prevention is a key focus of Wellbeing SA.
Wellbeing SA is proud to support a number of key suicide prevention initiatives, including:
- The enactment of the South Australian Suicide Prevention Act 2021, the first of its kind in any Australian jurisdiction;
- The establishment and work of the South Australian Suicide Prevention Council that will advise the South Australian Minister of Health and Wellbeing on ways to reduce suicide across the state;
- Support the development of the State’s next Suicide Prevention Plan;
- Administering an annual Suicide Prevention Community Grants Scheme, to support community based suicide prevention projects and activities; and
- Support for 45 asset based community Suicide Prevention Networks across South Australia working to strengthen capacity across South Australian communities to prevent and respond early to suicidal distress and behaviours.
Last month Wellbeing SA partnered with Suicide Prevention Australia to deliver the recent States in Focus Forum in Adelaide. Over 60 Suicide Prevention Network members attended the Forum to connect, hear from expert researchers and share best-practice on suicide prevention.
Read more about Wellbeing SA’s suicide prevention initiatives: wellbeingsa.sa.gov.au/suicideprevention